How Do I Avoid Probate Court in Two States?

Question: I lived in Montana for most of my life, until my wife and I retired and moved to California earlier this year. We own a house in Sacramento, but we still have our Montana estate. How do I update my estate plan to include two homes in two different states?

Answer: Updating your estate plan now is a great decision. Without it your decedents will have to go through probate courts in both Montana and California. Your heirs’ legal fees will double – as well as their headaches.

Form a California revocable trust and place all of your real properties, including the one in Montana, in it. By creating a revocable trust, you are making the trust itself the owner of your properties, which will help your decedents avoid both California and ancillary foreign state probates.

Related Posts

Estate Planning

Special Needs Trust Planning

Many of our clients are not aware of the fact that leaving an inheritance to a beneficiary that currently receives public benefits can actually disqualify

Read More »
detailed illustration of a compass with estate plan text
Estate Planning

Pitfalls of DIY Estate Plans

Handwriting an estate plan on your own is never a good idea. All too often estate planners are requested to review planning documents that were

Read More »