We are employer lawyers.
We counsel and defend businesses.
At Chauvel & Glatt, our attorneys represent employers and business owners by providing legal advice relative to the myriad of employment-related requirements and rules that apply to employers under California labor law. We have represented employers before various courts as well as California and federal agencies in a variety of cases. We also represent employers and employees in negotiating executive compensation and severance agreements.
Employee Handbook Compliance Review for Employers & Business Owners
Please contact us to schedule an appointment to review your existing employment Handbook, and/or company policies & procedures to ensure your business is California labor law compliant.
Our firm handles numerous employment-related litigation matters including:
Counsel employers on:
- Compliance with all California and Federal Labor Laws
- Contract negotiations (including Executive Compensation Agreements) Confidentiality and trade secret clauses in agreements
- Covid-19 related laws, local and state requirements, and legal updates
- I-9 compliance
- Social Media Policies
- Employee Handbooks
- Advice regarding bullying in the workplace
- Employers rights to access employee e-commerce materials
- Compliance with county specific employment ordinances such as San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance or San Francisco Paid Sick Leave Ordinance
- Draft, negotiate and advise on severance agreements
Mediation, Arbitration, Litigation of all matters including:
- Wage & Hour claims (for example: meal & rest breaks, overtime, split-shifts)
- Defense of PAGA (“Private Attorneys General Act”) cases
- Misclassification: Independent contractor vs. Employee analysis
- Sexual harassment claims
- Whistleblower claims
- Wrongful Termination
- Complaints before the DFEH, DLSE, OLSE, EEOC, DOL and other administrative agencies.
- Counseling, advising, and defending employers on Covid-19 related matters.
- These include Covid-19’s impact on the workplace; drafting policies & protocols for businesses such as Cal-OSHA , OSHA, and CDPH compliant Covid-19 Prevention Plans and Response Protocols, employee notifications, temperature protocols, Covid-19 vaccine policies, Covid-19 testing policies, Work From Home policies, liability waivers, and more.
- Advise employers on Exclusion Pay and all new Covid-19 laws.
- Defend Covid-19 related claims or lawsuits.
Click here to listen to Attorney April Glatt discuss vaccine mandates and other Covid-19 related employment law issues on KALW’s Your Legal Rights podcast.
There are no one-size fits all approaches to your business. Creating a comprehensive and customized Employee Handbook is a great way to ensure your company is California compliant. There are hundreds of laws that relate to employment practices in California. This can seem daunting and overwhelming to even the most sophisticated business owner. Creating an Employee Handbook customized to your business needs is a great way to organize all of your policies and obligations under California law in a digestible and common sense manner so you and all of your employees are on the same page. Employee Handbooks can also serve as evidence of your knowledge and compliance with California employment regulations. These tailored documents decrease your risk of liability if an employee sues you for sexual harassment or discrimination by setting out a clear and progressive disciplinary system that can be uniformly applied to all employees for all types of issues that may arise.
Annual Employment Audits
California laws are constantly changing. Our attorneys make it a priority to keep up-to-date on these changes. We recommend an annual audit of your policies to make sure you remain code compliant. These audits are pressure checks, just like an annual physical, where slight changes and adjustments can be made to keep your policies and procedures lawful with minimal disruption to your employees wor