An Employee Handbook is an important tool for both employers and employees. California has extensive and complicated labor laws that an employer is responsible for; and an Employee Handbook can assist to ensure that your company is compliant with these requirements and consistently applies California Labor Law.
As your company grows and the laws change each year, it is important that your current employees and future employees have an understanding of your company policies, and that you communicate to each employee these polices and their rights. As you may know, California has the reputation of being a very litigious state. Each year we see more and more lawsuits against employers, whether the facts are true or not. By having an up to date Employee Handbook, businesses are provided a level of protection against potential litigation. Of course, a Handbook is a first level of defense, as long as you follow your own polices (and make policies you can follow). Making exceptions to established policies does increase risk for an employer.
What are the advantages of having an Employee Handbook?
- Employers fulfill legal requirements for notifying employees about required legal policies regarding workplace rights.
- Creates of a formalized policy that contributes to consistent application, interpretation, and enforcement of all company practices and procedures.
- Provides an employee with clearly defined guidelines regarding their employment, the employer’s expectation, and their rights as an employee.
- Assists employers in a proper and compliant on boarding process for new hires.
- Promotes open communication and transparency by providing an employee with point of contact for issues relating to their employment, rights, and work environment.
- Helps an employer comply with state employment laws which can be a beneficial legal defense against an employee lawsuit.
To learn more about creating legal policies that work for your company, the handbook process or to set up a compliance audit with the knowledgeable Employer Lawyers at Chauvel & Glatt call 650-573-9500.
This material in this article, provided by Chauvel & Glatt, is designed to provide informative and current information as of the date of the post. It should not be considered, nor is it intended to constitute legal advice. For information on your particular circumstances, please contact Chauvel & Glatt at 650-573-9500 for legal assistance near you. (photo credit: 123rf.com).