Attention Bay Area Employers! Six Bay Area counties and the City of Berkeley have implemented updated Shelter-in- Place Orders (“Orders”). The updated Orders now require Essential Businesses to prepare, implement and post Social Distancing Protocols.
The new Orders have made clear that Social Distancing Protocols must include and implement the following at a minimum, if applicable:
- Post signage at the entrance of facility instructing all individuals to:
- avoid entering the facility if they have a cough or fever,
- maintain a six-foot distance from one another;
- cough or sneeze into one’s elbow; and
- not shake hands or engage in any unnecessary physical conduct;
- Limit the number of people who can enter their facility at one time;
- Ensure people can easily maintain a minimum six-foot distance from one another except when required to complete the Essential Business Activity;
- If lines form at the Essential Business, mark at least six-foot increments to establish and control where individuals are standing;
- Provide adequate hand sanitizers near the entrance of facilities and in other appropriate high touch areas (i.e. entrances and cashiers);
- If feasible, implement and provide contactless payment systems or at least provide accessible sanitizers so all payment portals, pens, and styluses can be disinfected;
- Implement regular disinfecting procedures for cleaning high-touch services; and
- Any other additional social distancing measures being implemented.
As the efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19 continues, it is important for Essential Businesses to ensure that they comply with the Orders, as well as continue to implement social distancing policies to keep the workplace a healthy environment for those reporting to work.
If you have any questions regarding the preparation and implementation of Social Distancing Protocol, or would like to discuss how the current Shelter-In-Place Order affects your business, contact the Employer Lawyers at Chauvel & Glatt.
The material in this article, provided by Chauvel & Glatt, is designed to provide informative and current information as of the date of the post. It should not be considered, nor is it intended to constitute, legal advice or promise similar outcomes. For information on your particular circumstances, please contact Chauvel & Glatt at 650-573-9500. (photo credit: 123rf.com)